I’m taking this class because I don’t know very much about about the spread of information and people’s perceptions of information. I also hope to learn how to use more forms of technology in the creation of class projects since I do not consider myself very tech-savvy. Additionally, I think this class will help me develop my skills as a class discussion leader and encourage me to find creative and innovative ways to represent my academic research.
Some of the topics that I would like to cover this semester include:
- Wartime photography (Especially the American Civil War)
- Various forms of art
- The postal service
- Identity in the Digital Age
- The Digital Divide
Since this is an honors class, I would like to do interdisciplinary projects where I can bring in my additional skills and knowledge from historic preservation, English, and music and combine them with resources available at the ITCC. Some of these projects include:
- A project featuring a traditional form of story/history/creation myth-telling
- Conveying a message through an early form of communication such as cave paintings, cuneiform, hieroglyphics, old Norse runes, smoke signals, Chinese calligraphy, etc.
- Making an infographic or video to display in the ITCC on ethics in the Digital Age