Paper, Printing, and Publishing
- 1600s -Printing dominated by governments, merchants, and churches
- Early 1800s -Most books still imported from England
- 1830s -Domestic publishing industry emerges. Production technology and railroad reduced prices and spread books across the nation
- Rise of newspapers between 1820-1850. This gave way to more objective newspapers. This process was helped along by better technology (penny press). People were able to develop their own identity through newspaper.
- By the mid 1850s, photography began to rise with the daguerreotype photographic process. Photography became more common and required less skill. Because of this, photographs became more prominent in newspapers.
- Post offices facilitated the spread of newspapers and pamphlets.